Electric 'LEGO' Motor
As the beakman motor have no torque at all, I decided to buil this project based on the design of the regular electric motors. With a medium difficulty, this motor is able to work with a fair load using 6 volts. (2/7/2007)
Someone, I don't remember who, asked me if the Beakman motor Beakman motor can be improved to have more torque. I made another motor, more complicated, but with more torque.
First, I made the coil using two LEGO tires and three small axles. The coils are winded on the same direction for both coils.
I attached two neodimium magnets to the Lego pieces using pegs and some hot glue. *** WARNING: Using hot glue can damage LEGO parts, do not duplicate this project, read the disclaimer at the main page.
Here is the motor ready to be assembled.
I used some aluminium foil to improve the contact between the coils and the wires. I do apologize for the "low quality wiring".
Here is a detail of the magnets, coils and the wiring.
The motor ready to run.
I applied 6 volts to the motor and it runs fine. using 9 volts runs like a dream. Sometimes it needs some help to start rotating, but it runs nicely.
This motor is not so easy as it looks. I do remember on the elementry school we had this proyect made with three clips and two batteries. It was so difficult to made, actually, it didn't run.
To be honest, I like to make things on the easy way, so, right now I'm thinking about making an easy-to-build electric motor. I'm thinking about the magnets to be on the axle and the coils to be fixed. It should provide more torque, speed and will be easier to build.
As soon I find a better design, I will post it.
|< Building a Lamina Flow Engine||Homepage
|Electric 'LEGO' Motor II>|